Information on the proposed merger between Silverdale and Meadows GP practices. Click here for more information


Our procedure is detailed below along with information of how to get help locally. The national guidance from the NHS is available by clicking here.....

If you would like help or assistance it is available through the Healthwatch West Sussex Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (IHCAS). They can be contacted:-

Healthwatch IHCAS 03000120122

Healthwatch West Sussex IHCAS, The Billingshurst Community Centre, Roman Way, Billingshurst, West Sussex, RH14 9QW

The complaints procedure has two stages 

Stage one: Local Resolution

Where ever possible the NHS looks to resolve complaints at a practice level. Liaise with the Practice Manager, Sean Wheatley to request an answer to your concerns. You can;


Call     (01444) 233450


Write   Sean Wheatley, Practice Manager, Silverdale Practice, 4 Silverdale Road, Burgess Hill, RH15 0EF.


Once the complaint has been received it will be formally acknowledged in writing by the Practice Manager within three days. The complaint will be dealt with speedily and efficiently and the complainant will be regularly informed of the progress of the investigation.


Patients will be given the opportunity for a discussion with the Practice Manager at a mutually convenient time. The purpose of the discussion is to determine how the complaint should be handled and the timeframe in which resolution should be sought. There are no longer any statutory timescales within which the complaint must be handled other than an expectation that a case will be concluded within six months. Most complaints are normally investigated and concluded within a matter of days.


If you do not want to deal directly with the practice then the alternative route is:-


Complainants have the right to choose whether they complain direct to the service provider (practice) or to the commissioner of that service, in this case NHS England via the National Contact Centre:


Tel: 0300 311 2233



NHS England
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT


Further information is available at:


A full copy of the regulations is available at:


When a complainant makes their complaint to NHS England, it is forwarded it to the practice.  The practice then carries out its own investigation and responds to NHS England, providing copies of relevant medical records.  Where a complaint is about clinical matter, a review of the complaint, response and records is undertaken by one of the Surrey and Sussex Medical Advisers following which a response sent from the Area Director usually enclosing the practice response.


If a complaint has already been made direct to the practice, then NHS England cannot investigate.


Complainants should normally be current or former patients or nominated representatives. If someone other than the patient makes a complaint they will need to have the authority to do so in order to protect patient confidentiality.


The normal time limit whereby patients can raise a complaint is extended to 12 months and can be longer depending on the circumstances.


Stage two: Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman


Complainants not content with the outcome of their complaint at local level can contact the Health Service Ombudsman to independently review their case

11- 13th Floor

Millbank Tower




Tel: 0345 015 4033)


In deciding whether to discuss or investigate a complaint, the Ombudsman has access to all the paperwork generated by local resolution and has powers to compel disclosure of documents and the attendance of witnesses, if necessary


Details of how to get the Silverdale complaints policy and procedures are on our notice boards, on our website, in the practice brochure and available by asking at Reception.


BSUH Patient Liaison Service


You can contact the PALS team by telephone between 10am and 4pm on:

01444 441881 extension 5909 (for issues at Haywards Heath site)

01273 696955 extension 4029 or 4588 (for issues at Brighton site)

Or by email at for either site.

For more details or information on the complaints procedure please ask to speak with Sean Wheatley. 

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website